Golden Beet and Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
The weather just got sweeter so why not celebrate the extra sun with this citrusy golden beet and shaved Brussels sprout salad?! This salad sings “hello spring!” with a sweet orange vinaigrette while bidding adieu to winter with hearty golden beets and Brussels sprouts. The flavors all come together for an alkaline reboot sure to have your body feeling refreshed, healthy and ready to tackle your spring goals head on.
Spring is a time for rebirth, and new beginnings. Theres never a wrong time to go healthy but theres just something about the blooming of flowers and birds chirping that just seems to have me reaching for the fresh and colorful fruits and veggies. Crafting up a salad is a perfect way to easily integrate a bunch of healthy ingredients in a meal and this one is a nutrient powerhouse. So let’s get into the stars of this salad.
1. Golden Beets
Don’t let the earthy taste of red beets deter you, golden beets are milder in their earthiness and slightly sweeter than their bright red counterparts. As an added plus, they won’t stain your countertops. As for the taste, think carrots with a hint of red beet. Due to its bright yellow color, the nutrient makeup will of course be different from regular beets. Golden beets contain lots of vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, lycopene, flavonoids, fibber, iron, and potassium just like other fruits of this color spectrum. They are also good for the heart, kidney, eyes, skin, and help to lower cholesterol and high blood pressure.
2. Brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts remind me of mini cabbages, so adorable and delicious. They are high in fiber, vitamin K, vitamin C, antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids. They also help to lower blood sugar, and may help to fight against inflammation and some cancers.
so about that vinaigrette…
Don’t be surprised if after you make this citrus vinaigrette you never buy a store bought one again. And who needs store bought anyway? They’re often full of filler ingredients, preservatives, and low quality oils. This dressing is full of fresh ingredients that you control and its also super easy to make.
Give this recipe a try and let us know how you liked it in the comments below! xoxo
Golden Beet and Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Citrus VinaigretteAuthor: Kianna S. | Date: 3/26/19
- prep time: 10 minutes
- cook time: 1 hour
- total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the salad:
- 6 golden beets
- 12 oz bag fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 lb fresh salad greens
For the vinaigrette:
- juice of 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Clean beets then trim off the stems and place on aluminum foil in groups of 3 (so you should have 2 large pieces of foil with 3 beets each). Drizzle beets with olive oil then wrap the foil over them to cover completely.
- Place on middle rack either on a pan or directly on the rack and roast for 45-50 minutes or until tender/can bbe easily puecerd with a knife.
- Once done, remove the beets from the oven and unwrap to let them cool. Then, gently peel the skin from the beets and dice into small chunks and set aside.
- For the Brussels sprouts- While the beets are roasting, prepare your shaved Brussels sprouts. Rinse them and then cut off the small stem end. Then, shred them by either running them through the food processor or thinly slicing them with a knife.
- Place in a strainer and thorougly rinse and drain once more. For this salad, the Brussels sprouts can be enjoyed raw or lightly cooked. If you opt to cook them heat a nonstick pan with a drizzle of oil and saute for a few minutes until they're tender but still a bbright green. Set aside.
- For the vinaigrette- Whisk together the juice of 1 orange, vinegar, shallots, mustard, maple syrup, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Taste ansd adjust seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble the salad- Place mixed greens, Brussels sprouts, chopped beets, and almonds in a large bowl. Toss in vinaigrette to your liking. Enjoy!